Monday, August 15, 2011

I found him


It was Autumn, 1992, and I had agreed to move back to Staten Island to spend more time with my brothers and sisters.  I went to school for the last time in Long Beach and made sure to find Danny McIntyre to say good-bye.
There just was not enough time to tell him all of the details of this departure, so I just told him the basics.  ”Don’t worry,” I said.  ”I’ll be in Long Beach every weekend, so I can see you then.”  That was the last thing I said to him.
About five or six years ago, I started looking for the friends I had when I was young.  The good friends were good, the enemies were good and everyone had grown up to be responsible adults for the most part.  All of my friends were there except for three of the greatest.
  • Danny McIntyre
  • Joe Henry
  • John Deifenbach
No one had heard of them.  They were lost, without a trace.  Thanks to Social Media sites, such as MySpace and Facebook, I’ve been able to launch a search into finding these gentlemen.  For one of them, the memory that had stuck out in my mind was an interaction I had with one of my other friends in the mid-nineties.  ”Oh, Danny,” he asked.  ”Last I heard, he got in with a bad crowd and we haven’t seen him since.”
Up until today, two of them remained hidden and one of them I choose not to believe the results that I have found  (I’m still looking Joe).  Today, my search is over.  Unbidden, a search algorithm came to mind.  (Penguin & McIntyre & Kevin & Dan).  A Q & A session with Kevin’s band asked the question of ‘who was your inspiration?’  ”My brother Danny,” was Kevin’s reply.  Logic told me, that a band from Point Lookout with the lead singer of Kevin McIntyre was most likely the best place for me to look.  The fact that he also had a brother named Danny was the clincher.
Whether or not Danny had fallen in with a bad crowd is inconsequential right now.  I’ve found him.  He is doing everything that I had thought he was going to be doing with his life.  All this and I am happy for him too!  Good Luck, Dan.  I found you.  Now, I’ve got two more to go.

1 comment: