Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Final Edit Received

I have great news!!

During my initial conversations with the publisher, they were asking how I received criticism.  What I found to be odd, is that I also had forms to fill out describing my book and incredibly, how I received criticism.  It brought me back to the times when I had been handing in creative-writing exercises at school.  Such hope which was shattered with a bad grade.  I always said the same thing, "Are these people nuts?!?  Why can't they understand that I did "this" intentionally and I did "that" because later "this" happens?  I don't deserve this grade because the professor doesn't understand me or my writing."

So, yesterday I got the manuscript back from the editors.

It felt like I was just punched in the neck.  I literally felt the wind leave me when I saw how badly they beat up my manuscript.

Right now, all I can say is that "I got what I deserved."  Something I couldn't say when I was younger, but it's as true then as it is now.

My job is to tell a story to the reader.  I'm sure a Sci-fi/Fantasy reader would have understood a bit more with certain aspects to the review, but that's not the point.  The book is supposed to be intuitive.  At no point should a reader have to say, "Poorly written, but I know what you mean."  I feel really good about this now.  I was worried that I would publish the book and later have regrets with the fact that readers didn't understand what I was trying to say.  With this, I can be pretty sure I'll be delivering a quality product for everyone to enjoy.

I want everyone to enjoy Alorya.  I want people who have never read the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre to "get it."  It's actually the story of my son's first week of life translated into fiction.  When they come to book signings and see Aiden with me, I want them to see how it all turned out.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad they really took the time and effort to go through the manuscript and give suggestions for edits. You did a great job telling a story, and I would love to see what their comments/suggestions were.

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Said it before and I'll say it again: EVERYBODY needs an edit. (Especially if you think you don't!) I was floored by how much better my book was after the editor was finished ... it was a lot shorter, but it's better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great news! Can't wait for the book. When will it be released? Is there a book signing where I can get an autograph?

    ReplyDelete