Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Football - American Style

I can remember days when I couldn't sleep after a Broncos game. Sometimes, they won in such ridiculous fashion I would be up all night with adrenaline pumping. On occasion, they would lose and I would be up all night reliving the moments which would have turned the loss into a victory. One time, in 1997 I had a dream after a Bronco loss to the 49ers. The Broncos lost pretty soundly yet I managed to have a vivid dream of referees being arrested for gambling. This led to John Elway giving an Independence Day-esque type of speech and leading the Broncos back on to the field. In this dream, the Broncos destroyed the 49ers. I actually woke up the next morning sure that the loss was overturned. It wasn't.

Last night, the Broncos lost to their division rivals the Raiders. Not only did I not bother to stay up and watch it, I really didn't care. I woke up this morning and read about the loss and just didn't care. I try to analyze why I don't care about sports anymore, but I can't seem to figure it out. On the other hand, if I had seen the game (if it were on earlier), I would have rooted for the Broncos and been upset at the loss. I just don't think I would have had a problem sleeping. I think I have it figured out and it brings to mind a Bruce Springsteen lyric.

John Elway - "You took my heart when you left."

I wasn't just dreaming about the game the night before. I was actually living the dream. From 1984 to 1999, I followed the Broncos religiously. Actually, that might be a lie. I followed John Elway religiously. After that, I followed the Broncos out of habit. During the John Elway era, I saw it all though. John Elway's never ending battle against the clock. All the Bronco faithful miss you John.

No comments:

Post a Comment